Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
More About That

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on February 5, 2002 16:29:14 UTC

Hi Mike,

Genies: Unfortunately I am a lot better at taking commands than I am at executing them.

***And will always remain so [i.e. unable to foresee all consequences] if not in a deterministic universe (or part thereof)?***

Yes. That would be my guess.

***Do you agree that if we can truly conceive (that is, not just point to, but _outline) a level of maturity, that we can, ourselves or in our posterity, aspire to that level...and maybe achieve AN such level?***

Absolutely. I think we do that all the time. That is how progress happens. For example, we conceived of being able to fly; we aspired to that level; and after a mere few thousand years, we achieved that level. It works great!

***Under this definition #3 [i.e. Unable to be paradoxical (i.e. illogical)], God is the strongest ever, even if the only logic allowed were that which humans could comprehend if they tried hard enough. The usual God of the world seems a rather illogical personage by standards of human logic...***

I think we agree here. What I meant was that if god invented and decided to play the game of chess, then he would not be able both to play the game and also to violate its rules. Similarly, as Dr. Dick has proved to my satisfaction, if god creates a universe which can be described, then it must necessarily obey the laws of physics and god is powerless to violate those laws. And that's the kind of universe we happen to be in. Of course, god may have also created many more indescribable universes in which he may do whatever he pleases. But in this one, he is definitely limited in what he can do.

How close a neighbor are we? About 100 miles.
Can you see my house from your house? No.
My sky from your sky? Yes.
My PBS affiliate from your PBS affiliate? I don't know enough about TV to answer.
...my NWS zone forecast from your National Weather Service zone forecast YES! Thank you for that link. I have bookmarked it and I will certainly use it.

I live in Seattle.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins