Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
So You're A Realist, Are You?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on January 30, 2002 23:42:14 UTC

Hi Richard,

Let's take a look at what you think is real:

***what really exists are the quantum waves***

Now, you know a lot more about physics than I do, so correct me if I am wrong, but, don't quantum waves consist of variations in probability densities? Or are we back to quantum waves being real waves in some kind of ether?

I would agree that ether would be real if it existed. But it seems to me that probability densities are nothing more than numbers. And, numbers are nothing more than mental concepts. And, it seems to me that mental concepts cannot exist without some mind to conceive them.

So that leaves me as a dualist admitting the existence of two things: mind and mental concepts.

For you to be a realist, it would seem that you either need to admit some ether to support your waves, or you need to admit some other real medium to support whatever those waves consist of.

Aside from this classification problem, I think you and I see pretty much eye to eye.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins