Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Simon Says? (messed Up Html, Read This One)

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on January 30, 2002 15:17:47 UTC

Dick,

I thought you would have constructed a better response than Simon says.

***H: Had Aristotle been right, the equation of acceleration would include mass. But, Aristotle was wrong which Galileo established in his experiments. D: No Harv, that statement is incorrect!***

And that would be why?

***The term acceleration is very useful, but it was not elected as definition so that it would be true by definition, it was selected because it was found true in experiments. D: Not because it was found "true" Harv; but rather because it was found "useful".***

Okay, I can accept that. It was found that the definition of acceleration was useful (or instrumental) in describing the phenomena that Galileo had in his mind.

***I think you still miss the entire point. And by the way, I was not "tagging in for Aurino", I was trying to explain to you what Aurino was talking about.***

Which you didn't do. Why?

Dick, 'Simon says' arguments just won't do. You at least agree that definitions are selected because they are instrumental in identifying a phenomena seen in experiments, so why don't you accept that the concept of acceleration can be meaningless (or even wrong) if the background context of its application is changed? This is true even if the variables x, t, dx/dt, dv/dt, etc are all present (e.g., with the photon travelling at light speed in a vacuum).

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins