Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Okay

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on January 28, 2002 22:22:29 UTC

Now that you have defined acceleration in terms distance, let's look at your question:

***why is it that you can't possibly run any experiment to prove that the definition of acceleration does not properly describe the motion of bodies in space?***

The double negative threw me originally, but if I understand your question properly it is saying that there is no way that an experiment can be devised in which a = d(dx/dt)/dt (as you so eloquently put it) would not work.

Well, let's ask our experimenters to measure the acceleration of photons in a vacuum. Do the photons accelerate in that vacuum? Yes or no?

Okay, let's let them measure the acceleration of electrons as they make their quantum jump (i.e., from one probable distance to another probable distance). What is the acceleration of the electrons given the fact that the electrons do change position with respect to time (i.e., acceleration is computable)?

Since you mentioned an experiment, we can also can conceive of an experiment conducted near the event horizon where an object appears like it has gone a fixed distance, but is not actually there (i.e., we cannot see the object move beyond the event horizon since it's light cannot escape).

I think what this shows is that the experiment can be constructed in which an object should have a calculatable acceleration, but in fact the classical definition of acceleration is not applicable to the objects in motion.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins