Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
God As Setting Boundary Conditions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Richard Ruquist on January 28, 2002 15:40:45 UTC

Ref. http://www.astronomy.net/forums/god/messages/14858.shtml

Harv and I are having an interesting discussion on the properties of a god, assuming one exists. For my convenience, I want to continue it in a new string.

In the above post, Harvey claims that god sets boundary conditions and sets a few things that have to happen, but otherwise leaves us alone. He did mention the possiblility of response to prayer.

If god did act that way, then fairly often things would go wrong badly, and rather forceful intervention on god's part would be required, like the famous asteroid that wiped out the dinasaurs.

My experience, which is entirely subjective since it happened to me and is not repeatable, is that god or whatever is constantly meddling in our lives. So my opinion is that god is trying to make the world go a certain way, most likely to avoid the nuclear crisis as I've said many times before.

I conclude from my personal experience that god, or whatever it is that populates the supernatural is very far from omnipotent. It or they may posses omnificience (I cannot spell). They seem to be able to read human thought. But they cannot just make things happen. They or it seems to have to play by certain rules. And they make things happen via influence and coincidence.

So my opinion is that god or whatever is basically weak, particularly in comparison to the creator type god of christianity or the perfect god of islam.

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins