Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
If We Do Not Know A Thing, It Is Better To Define It

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on January 22, 2002 15:24:29 UTC

Sorry to butt in. But it seems to me that when we find something that we do not underdstand, we naturally give it a name and definition just to be better able to talk about it.

Regarding the coincidences of constants- Smolin has offered a view that would result in finely tuned universes without the need for an intelligent creator.

He claims:
1. Universes come from black holes
2. Universes that produce the greatest number of black holes will predominate after enough time
3. Infinite time is enough time.
4. Our universe has its constants tuned to maximize the number of black holes.

1 + 3 are assumptions
2 follows from mathematics given 3
4 is demonstrable with mathematical physics. Smolin claims to have checked it, but I have never seen any such publication from him. You would think that he would author a book on that.

So the point of this is that here we have a non-verified theory that results in the present coincidence of constants without any anthropic needs. Also no need for god.

But it is not a sufficient condition to claim that a god or gods do not exist. I think the Celestine Prophecy type of coincidence is a better argument for the existence of god than the anthropic principle.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins