Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Psychology Of Math

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on January 22, 2002 15:10:45 UTC

Luis,

I just read "Where does mathematics come from" which claims that math is based in human psychology and not existing independently.

I expect that is what you mean by psychology of math.

However, I did not find the argument of that book convincing because humans always find the same kinds of mathematics. Mathematics appears to be unique and universal, but perhaps not rigorous per Goedel, and more random than deterministic as Chaitin claims.

So I would expect that a psychology based math could vary from person to person, just as the psychologies of people vary. The fact that it is universal, just as nature is universal, means that math exists outside of humans as much as nature does.

Symbols may be all psychology and we see that the same symbols mean different things to different people. But the arithmetic properties of nature are apparent to anyone who cares to look closely, from symmetry to fractals.

Since you may be a believer in math psychology, I would be interested in your take on my take.

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins