Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
God Matters

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on January 19, 2002 16:51:00 UTC

On one level we talk about god because that is the subject of this forum. But that is not an adequate answer.

The next level is to invoke god when science is missing, like how the 19 constants got set. That also is not an adequate answer. Besides my guess is that even if there were a god, the constants would still be set by some as yet unknown set of math & physics, because everything else about the fundamentals of nature that we do know works that way.

The real reason to invoke god is that supernatural beings, which we interpret as a creator god, have spoken to humans over the eons. Such revelation is still happening. It could be that those of us who this so-called god reveals himself to, which includes me, are all hallucinating. But even if this were true, the hallucinations have had a profound influence on human life and history, through both religion and numerous personal revelations.

So it behoves us to try to understand the source of these hallucinations as today they seem to be controlling the destiny of the humanh race.

I prefer to believe that revelation is based on a real supernatural existence that we all exist in after death, and which has information from races on other planets, and which therefore tries to guide us on this planet to survive the nuclear crisis that every planet faces once a scientific intelligence is realized.

I believe that the supernatural world has been detected (dark matter) and that its physics is amenable to our understanding. I also believe that scientific experiments and publications on out-of-body experience OBE proves that our consciousness is not confined to our bodies. The supernatural world is a sufficient but not necessary explanation of the mechanism of OBE.

So I agree with you that god does not need to be invoked when discussing anything that is amenable to scientific understanding. But there is alot to life that is beyond scientific understanding, such as revelation and coincidence. Actually revelation is amenable to scientific understanding, once you postulate the existence of supernatural intelligence. The mechanism by which it happens is understandable. Faith healing, which seems to circumvent the laws of nature, is not understandable. But mind over matter experiences are fairly commonplace. Coincidence of events that seem to control, at least my life, are even more difficult to understand, even given a supernatural world, as they defy scientific explanation.

So to dismiss god or some kind of supernatural energy, you have to dismiss all recorded evidence of miracles and faith healing. you will have a very hard time convincing someone who has had such an experience that it was not true. Likewise coincidence.

Thanks for the opportunity to express this belief.

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins