Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Why Do People Deny That There's GOD ?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Lee on October 29, 1999 17:17:29 UTC

Neo,

You begin your argument by listing examples of areas in which we are ignorant. For instance, we will never discover secrets of... etc, etc. Yet you use this as a basis for your argument that God exists. I ask you, how can ignorance produce knowledge of God, or knowledge of anything ("I don't know" can't possibly translate into "I know that God exists")? The fact that we do not understand many aspects of the universe is not indicative of a deity. Science can produce many theories. Theories are mechanisms that we construct to explain things in a rational manner. Most importantly, theories are testable, and they make predictions. If a theory makes an incorrect prediction, then it is flawed in some way, and must be revised. If a theory produces a prediction that comes true, our confidence in the theory is strengthen by evidence. In this way, a theory cannot be completely proven, only disproved. This is what science strives to accomplish. Religion however, is not a theory, because it lacks the ability to make predictions. It's not testable simply because of the way it is designed.

You insist that I do not understand God, thus I don't believe. You're right. The conception of God offered by theists don't make sense to me. However, you inadvertantly assume God's existence when you make this statement. Saying that I/we don't understand God assumes that God really exists. It's ineffective to assume your conclusion as one of your arguments, because you will succeed only in convincing people that already believe in God.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins