Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Misunderstanding

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on January 10, 2002 14:12:07 UTC

Luis,

I apologize if I misunderstood you in some way. What I was trying to discuss with Alan was something serious and, in my opinion, pertinent to each one of us. I didn't intend my quote to sound as mockery, although that is certainly what it might look like at first.

One particular point is Alan's, and practically everyone else's, mistaken impression that Dick is making claims that his paper tells us something about reality, when what he's doing is in fact the opposite; his equations tell nothing at all about reality as they are entirely generic and apply to any set of data. Because I like to think I understand Dick's paper better than Alan does, and because I like the guy, I wanted him to let him know that he's way off the track. But he doesn't seem to be interested so I'll leave it at that.

As to you, Luis, I think you have taught me a lesson. I couldn't understand why people like Harv and Paul seemed to respect you when you didn't seem to deserve it. I came to realize it's a cultural difference, I had already noticed that Americans sometimes tell things to each other that are completely unacceptable in my culture. The reverse is certainly true as well, although it's hard for me to tell when I unknowingly offend people.

I guess what I wanted to say is, I no longer think you are what I said you are, but I still sense this huge cultural gap between us.

For what that is worth,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins