Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
In Thoery - Am I Late Or Am I Early?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Robert Garfinkle on January 9, 2002 06:41:16 UTC

Light Speed?

OK, hypothetically (of course) speaking.

I'm in a pretty sophisticated space ship.

Let's say I were traveling at four times the speed of light, and I decided to land on the first planet associated with Alpha Centauri.

My time of travel to the first planet (Planet One)
was just a bit shorter than one year.

I then decided to instantly take off again and head back home (Earth) at the exact same speed.

Questions:

1. Would I, at the half way mark in space, see myself traveling to planet one?

2. Would the speed that I travel past myself appear to be twice as fast as I'm actually traveling? In essence, eight times the speed of light.

3. If we travel faster than the speed of light would we really see anything at all?

4. As I understand it, the "Light Speed Thoery" was put to test a few years back. Is this true, and if so, was Einstien on the right track?

5. As we approach the speed of light, would the supposed slowdown be linear or exponential?

Looking for clues...

Rob

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins