Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Answer To Everything Is... EVOLUTION... And Peanuts

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on October 21, 1999 20:37:37 UTC

Gerwin: : If mankind is just a slave of cause and consequence, without aspiration and no choice, then what is the point of finding new theories? : We canīt, chance them nor use them, because mankind (as a slave of cause and consequence) is not in control. : If this is true, what is the meaning of your life? : Donīt tell me itīs simply reproduction, because what is preventing me form killing you and : give my genes a better chance to survive?

tenacious: Hello Gerwin,

I happen to believe that we are nothing more than higher evolved animals, and hence free will is but an illusion. What's the point of finding new theories? I don't pretend to know the answer, but I do know that our need for knowledge stems from our primitive ancestors. You see, for an animal to be successful in it's habitat, it has to have some sort of special adaptation that gives it an edge. Cobras have developed lethal speed and venom, Sharks are streamlined in shape and have sharp teeth, etc. Humans have a different tool, our brains. Evolution has ensured that only the most ingenious and inventive humans could survive in an animal kingdom full of advanced predators. Man compensated for his compartively puny body, by forming hunting tribes, collaborating and sharing ideas; thus language developed. Only those primitives that could work together, and become smarter, were selected by evolution. That is why humans have an insatiable need to learn and formulate new theories. At first we did this simply out of the necessity to survive in a competitive environment, but our ancient ancestors have passed on this instinctual drive for understanding our natural world. You see, so even if life has no meaning, we're still inclined to formulate new theories any way. Meaning in life, and a thirst for knowledge don't necessarily go hand in hand, in my opinion.

Now onto your second point: "what is the meaning of your life? Donīt tell me itīs simply reproduction, because what is preventing me form killing you and give my genes a better chance to survive?"

What's the meaning of my life? I dunno ??? However, the whole point of life in general is merely to reproduce. You ask what prevents you from killing another human? The answer stems also from evolution, and some sociology as well. 1) Evolution: Humans instintivly don't kill each other (ie. sight of blood makes most people sick or at least raises their pulse), because that would be counter productive. In fact most animals rarely kill each other in nature. This is especially true in social animals. They fight, but not to the point of any real injury and certainly not death (very rare). This is because you killing me, does not necessarily increase your chances of survival in a human tribe. You see, our early ancestors had to work together, so each individual was important; essentially, the seemingly competitive nature of evolution, gave rise to a cooperative species. So, not killing members in one's own species helps the ENTIRE species survival. What gives individual genes a better chance of surviving is a whole 'nother story. 2) Sociology: Very simular to humans. To maintain social order, we needed to develop laws. Not killing each other, is kind of necessary to ensuring your society doesn't collapse and that your members will survive.

So there it is. That's my oversimplified analysis of your question. Please do reply, I'd much appreciate it Gerwin. Later.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins