Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Polite Skepticism About Discounting Math's Distinguished Tools

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by M.W.Pearson on December 30, 2001 23:55:28 UTC

Harv wrote
" the question of what separates mathematics from science is a pseudo one it is not feasible to derive a mathematical approach or logical approach that is any more fundamental or less prone to error than science itself.

Hi, Harv,
Some of what you write finds me in agreement.
The above leaves me skeptical.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but without rigor (rooting out logical and math errors, there is no way exce[t credentialism for establishing "truth."
Does the Inquisitor again trump Galileo by your method? We remember how diabolically the non-rigorous authorities use this license !

1) Here you define math, logic, and science as not being separable...possibly arrange-able in outline form with logic and math being ancillary to science?

2) Some problems might require MORE intensive logic or math in processing THAN extensive data gathering. . . while some problems would require the opposite.

3) If this is so, then error rates on solutions
will vary according to how effectively strategies using math and logic were selected. By what method will you select these strategies if not by math (ie measuring the geometry of the problem's parameters) or logic (surveying the problem using previously tested findings and standard definitions).

Science can be defined as "getting the truth with an all-out, no-holds-barred use of your mind"
but without math and logic, that pseudo separation seems a hazard for creating a pseudo-science. How have I misunderstood you?

Best wishes for safe happy new year

Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins