Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Purpose And Plan Of Existence

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Yasir on December 28, 2001 19:05:08 UTC

It's true that thinking about philosophical concepts or searching for philosophical problems is way beyond my comprehension and, of course, my knowledge. But I can't help thinking, again and again, about the purpose and plan of life.
To prepare for some afterlife seems like a fairly culturally evolved belief. To explore the nature of existence is something that excites me most but is something which has an 'unsure feel' to it. After all, intelligence has not evolved to explore (but to survive in competition and in a 'selective' environment)in the first place.

"It seems to me that being blessed with the intelligence to divine the deepest secrets of nature gives meaning enough to life."
(Michio Kaku)

Why? Surely, it 'feels' good to explore and to know the unknown. But are feelings reliable enough to help us make some 'logical' conclusion about a thing as important as existence?

Will anybody here like to expand on what he thinks is the purpose of all this .... existence stuff?

People like Einstein, Schrodinger and Abdus-Salam 'believed' in God (no matter, how they define the term). Why didn't they simply made the term 'God' forget forever since today it holds no definite meaning in the light of what we know about the universe and how it works? Why stick to it again and again?

Is there some fear lurking inside our fluid brains which forces us to believe blindly on intelligent existence after the end of life (when it is defined as a phenomenon involving metabolism, generative processes, response activities, control mechanisms and cellular functional and structural basis)???

And finally, should we take films, which make us think (eg, American beauty), seriously? :)

I am waiting eagerly for posts in reply.
Yasir.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins