Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Are Some Of Us Agreeing But Seem In Conflict Via Words

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mike Pearson on December 26, 2001 21:39:31 UTC

Thanks I don't have an obsession with being in agreement...but I'm not sure whether we disagree anyway.

One of Doctor Dick's points had been that
"self-evident" definitions are a potentially
fruitful place to search for new discoveries
by reexamining them.
It seems you agree.
How about this:
1+1= 2 is self-evident from rules of arithemetic
but seems not to function in relativity where 1+1 may equal a different number.

And direction, for example, is a simpler term in everyday life than in physics.
As we try to show the direction of our flight through space, the "direction" may change according to what our anchor is... ya know, in relation to what point or frame of reference?
And so as we fly around our sun, Sol flies in some other direction in a star region which is orbiting the center of the galaxy...which too is
flying some direction.
To find the real "direction" of "our flight", we need to know the relative speeds at each level or it would not be a true computation...and in the best case, we admit our direction is in relation to a geometrically more-than-simple point of reference.

This only illustrates that our familiar terms may become different in any scientific use.

warm regards back atcha even if I don't always say it,
Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins