Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Law Of Sacrifice

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on December 23, 2001 18:55:51 UTC

I know you do not believe in god, but just humor me for the moment. Assume that you did believe in god. In this case more specifically identify with me.

If so. Then looking at the history of the world and particularly at religious figures like Christ, it can be concluded that god requires sacrifice of life in order for hime or her or it to accomplish things on earth.

This may only be true of western religion.

Animal sacrifice was commanded by the Hebrew god.

That seemed to switch to human sacrifices in the New Testament. Not only Jesus but also all the Christian martyrs.

When Christianity became official in Rome and there were no more Christians sacrificed, god switched back to the jews. The jews (>300AD) were not allowed to teach judiasm in rome on penalty of death, and many jews were martyred, all the way up to the last century. It only stopped in eastern europe with the advent of communism, but facism more than made up for that.

Now we see Muslims being sacrificed.

So postulating that there is a god and that god has some control on human life, it seems that god needs human sacrifice to make things happen. Right now muslims are being sacrificed to unify the rest of the world. In WWII jews were sacrificed, maybe to help win the war, or maybe to just get them their own country.

Why human sacrifice? It seems that the peoples who have the greatest love for god are the ones sacrificed, including the terrorists.

Perhaps god just needs the influx of really devoted people into heaven to make things happen. But as well there may be some kind of law that god has to follow. It suggests that god, if one does exist, is not an all-powerful god, hardly perfect.

Your suggestion that there may be a law requiring sacrifice suggests to me that you have some sense of fate. Or was it all in jest?

The law could be fundamentally mathematical and god could just be a great mathematician, and we a computer simulation. But I prefer to think that it is all real and not simulation, including some kind of supernatural intelligence that has to follow its own set of mathematical laws.

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins