Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Well What???

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on December 21, 2001 18:48:24 UTC

Harv,

My personal opinion is that you include in “reality” a lot of stuff which is very imaginative; however, if you contend that is the correct definition of reality I am willing to avoid use of the word. Certainly it is not what I am talking about. I am talking about the collection of all observable objects and their behavior.

The mental model I am referring to consists of the entire collection of observables of which one could be aware. I was under the impression that such constituted the actual information any valid scientific thesis is to explain. This is the mental model I refer to as the mental model of the universe underlying any scientific attempt to explain our experiences.

My point #1 consists of the statement that acceptance of that mental model, in no way constrains any explanation of anything. Your apparent refusal to accept that point appears to be based on your, in my head, rather strange definition of reality. I presume from your response that you are holding fast to the position that there exist valid scientific explantions of phenomen which are inconsistent with the collection of observables which one could be aware.

I really do not understand the logic behind your response nor do I understand your statements made in defense of that position.

>>Dick: This constitutes the actual information any valid scientific thesis is to explain.
Harv: Not for me.>Reality includes everything both known and not known.>It includes observables and non-observables.>Causes and effects.>All time dimensions and all space dimensions.>... etc etc.> And in my view, it includes God and a divine order that I believe exists as a result of his existence. Reality is everything. The direct observables that humans experience make up a very small small percentage of that realm.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins