Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Logic

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on October 19, 1999 18:17:02 UTC

: Webster defines logic as the foundation for the principles of reasoning; then one can not aquire reasoning without logic. Brother Beezl proposes (If I understand him properly) to deify logic in absence of reason. In other words, logic, rather than a compass used to lead us to the truth, becomes an end unto itself. Used properly, logic is the foundation of philosophy; philosophy then defines drama, music etc., then finally, one's world-veiw. In the U.S., we have been subject to secularization for some time; that is, religion has no role in defining our laws and social institutions. Everything is realtive and there is no absolute truth. As a result, our culture is meaningless and is basically the sum of how everyone "feels" about something/everything. If you deny this is true just watch Seinfeld ("a show about nothing"). Popular music is a message-less hodgepodge that deals with nothing beyond ones sexual desires or drugs and violence. Western society is suspended in a spriritual vacuum; these are dangerous times. "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Light" Jesus WILL transform you....

Hello Bzrd: I think all these things are great. For the first time in history, people are exercising their right of independent thought, and are questioning everything. Things once held sacred and concrete are constantly being reformulated and revised. If we never questioned, you can be certain the level of knowledge we've attained today, would never have been reached. But instead it steadily continues to grow. Organized religion has lost control over many people now. History has a way of exaulting and romanticising the past in a way I find exaggerated and unrealistic.

Like I've said before: "things aren't the way they used to be, but then again, they never were." (that's not actually my quotation, I just heard it somewhere and now I'm ripping it off).

The 50's were a prosperous decade of economic and social stability. An era of picket fence neighborhoods where everyone conformed to a rigid set of social ideals. Although things seemed nice and well, the mass "sheep" mentality was ever prevalent. Forms of expression were greatly restricted, intolerance and racism common, sexism, etc. Sure, the past was a great time, but make no mistake, it had it's share of problems. It's time to prepare for the future, not to live in the past. Our's is a time of great change, but if it's more dangerous, it's not due to the fact that more people are leaving theism. Honestly, I can't pinpoint one single cause of all the problems that exist today because there is no one problem. Things are complicated. There are various reasons why people are gunning down their fellow schoolmates, but I assure you, I doubt it's because of the rise in atheism. In fact, as far as I know, theists are still in the majority.

Furthermore, our culture is not meaningless. Just because everybody doesn't share the same view of what the meaning in life is, doesn't make life's meaning meaningless (whew!). It's simply become more subjective now, as I believe it should be. What's wrong with a little variety?

P.S. Science provides a world view that is more of an absolute truth all the time. It's just as absolute as religion. P.P.S. ... uh, see ya.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins