Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Let's Be Very Detailed

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on December 20, 2001 06:30:38 UTC

Alex,

I'm gonna refer you to a philosophical paper on this subject which hopefully will make clear my perspective to a great extent. This paper, written by Galen Strawson, is from an atheist/materialist's philosopher, but the perspective is 'pro self' and gives an elaborate description of what a self is, what it means to be aware of yourself and areas where the 'self model' may be illusionary. Strawson holds what Strawson considers the 'Pearl view' of self which sees the self as not permanent through time, but changes enough so that one individual may have many selves throughout their lives (like a chain of Pearls with each self as a Pearl). I do not hold to that view.

Btw, this paper will challenge your ability. If you willing to work to understand papers such as this then you will be on your way to a better understanding of these issues.

http://www.imprint.co.uk/strawson.htm

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins