Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Am An Idea Man

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on December 18, 2001 14:52:57 UTC

A high school teacher once labeled me as an idea man. Over the years I came to appreciate the accuracy of her remarks. I got through a fairly rigorous education, many courses from Nobel Prize winners, by relying on my creativity rather than my smarts. For a scientist I am rather dumb. But I learned how to beat the system. I was 17th in my high school class in an ordinary town in Connecticut. But I was 3rd in my college class, and straight A's in grad school at the PhD level.

I beat the system by having more ideas than the competition. After PhD I went to work on Star Wars, which at that time was a bluff. So I was able to capitalize on my creative instincts. I knew how to make mathematics do anything I wanted. And then if you just program the solution, everybody believes it because it came out of a computer, especially if it came out of a computer programmed with full-wave optics. Even the Russians admitted that the Berlin wall came down because of Star Wars and Chernobyl.

So I do not pretend to be rigorous. Carelessuniverse is right on that one. I am more like a dumb Feymann. BTW, I learned how to make math work for me from George Carrier, but I do not imagine that you have ever heard of him, he was an applied mathematician; which is essentially what my professional training is, even though my PhD is in physics.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins