Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Is Humor Practical & Necessary At All? & Is Humor 50% Serious?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Mohammad Isa Mirsiam on December 17, 2001 22:19:57 UTC

IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, MOST BENEFICENT, MOST MERCIFUL

My Dear Dr. D.C.

I am responding to a comment posted at: "You are assuming perhaps that all bio-robots have self-awareness, or that all neurologically healthy humans have self awareness."

Can there be such a condition as too much self-awareness? Would you agree that a person could quickly become out of place in this 21st. century society if the person in question actually wished to practice his or her life in a self-aware mode? Can self-awareness cause a person wish to retreat in to the wilderness and away from a population who might not be as self-aware? Is retreat (isolation) necessarily a wrong thing? Or is retreat (isolation) sometime the best cure for over awareness? Could the retreat (isolation) actually make a person even more aware?

What if others should realized the benefits of the awareness in people who might be learning to become more aware? Would some who are less aware be greedy for money or fame recognize the benefit from another’s senses of awareness? Aware people have often been lied to because awareness dose not necessarily imply all knowing or al seeing. Often aware people are often generous and innocently ignorant of the intent of other’s toward them. Often aware people are discoverers of knowledge that could be most dangerous if place in the wrong hands. Even if potentially dangerous knowledge is placed in the correct hands it is often impossible to guarantee the safety of the knowledge beyond the life of the safe keeper.

I have found that there is a higher price one pays for awareness. But the price is nothing in comparison for the benefits one experiences while being self-aware. This could be a reward or a punishment for the aware person. It all depends how well the person can be accepted in society and all this depends on how well the aware person makes himself or herself accepted. Often I have found that thoughts based on pure speculation often lead to one’s fearing of an aware person; this is perhaps the greatest obstacle an aware person has to overcome in order to be accepted in a society of less aware people. Another obstacle, that I consider even more difficult to overcome, is the fear generated in the truly aware person while seeking not to become an object of worship or praise; this is because the aware person knows how seriously this mis-directed emotion of worship and prayers - that is due only to Allah (G_D) - can hurt the same person who is made aware.

Is humor practical & necessary at all and/or sometimes? Some might see a benefit in timely humor. Are we joking here or what? (No pun intended) I think you are serious in your comment. No?

Are humans (H-Droids) bio-puppet-robots or are humans H-Droids) bio- responsive-robots?

Might one suggest that there comes a time when the human spirit is awakened (resurrected)? This is when belief in Allah (G_D) becomes more serious.

--------------------------------------------------
Here is an example of humor:

Henry goes to confession and says, "Bless me Father, for I have sinned. Last night I was with seven different women."

The priest says, "Take seven lemons, squeeze them into a glass and drink the juice without pausing."

"Will that cleanse me of my sins, Father?"

"No," replies the priest. "But it'll wipe that silly grin off your face."

Is there anyone who dose not understand the joke? If so, why? Why is humor not humorous to some people? Is it when it is used out of timing? Or is there such a person that simply cannot be humorous in any event?

I must admit. I am guilty of not understanding some humor. But the one I received from a friend of mine seems to strike me as funny because the remedy for removing a smile off of ones face for even a moment dose apply to the joke. (A Joke is definitely at the minimum 50% serious. No?)

Perhaps there are some individuals who might actually be suffering from humor deficiency and some who suffer from an over indulgence in practicing humor. Or might I be wrong in drawing a conclusion on the reason behind the use of humor by some. Perhaps the joke is on those who do not understand the message. Perhaps the joke is an instruction to those who understand the point of the said joke. Perhaps even there is no meaning in the jest but just a reason to make someone smile. Perhaps there is good reason to listen to jokes while wearing one's 50% serious hat. Can we suppose that jokers have a different hat for every occasion or are we just speculating?

This is a serious question: Are there hidden messages in every joke or jest? Who is the message directed at? And what purpose if any dose it serve? Are television comedians as innocent as they might make themselves out to be or are we talking more about unfounded conspiracy theories?

Is the thought of a conspiracy out of place or is it justified when one hears political or religious jokes?

I do not have the answer but I can estimate that there is definitely a degree of seriousness to every joke. Here are some items to consider when practicing humor or sending [Hu- Morse] code(s): One might seek to be very cautious and careful on how the joke is put in place and where it is placed and who reads it and why. One might also look at the background of the joker and their intention toward the group or individual that the joke is directed at. At your convenience take a good strict look at the humor of some stand-up comedians such as Jay Lenno and record the show - if you are not able to read between the lines - and later replay it over and over until the political or religious humor starts to have meaning. What is and/or what should be the response of an individual who is observing the show in total ignorance or innocence? What is and/or what should be the response of the person or group that the humor is directed at? What is the response of the group or individual who can read the message between the lines and for whom it is actually performed or enacted or written etc.?

Is there hidden meaning(s) behind political humor? Or is it just for the money and a good laugh? What is the purpose of laughter when it is directed at a person or a group? Who benefits by the joke? The joker? The one who the joke is on or about? The population who might be entertained in watching others being put down literally and/or figuratively (in $)? Or could the whole idea of humor be more serious if the consequences of having toyed with others, through humor, were to truly be measured and made known.

Given the above writing as an example would you be comfortable in stating that I am aware or not aware of myself?

Can one measure the level of awareness through reading a particular person's writings and could the mesurment be fairly accurate in assesing the senserity of the aware person also?

Regards,
Jisbond

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins