Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Howdy

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on December 17, 2001 07:47:03 UTC

Hi Mario,

Good to be talking with you again. Your last post really got me to thinking, and I think you turned a few light bulbs on in my head. I think I have not been addressing the questions you have asked, even though you asked them clearly enough.

You asked me "Why do you believe what you do?" I didn't ever really answer that. Instead, I always answered the question, "What do you believe?", which you didn't ask.

Now, you've got me thinking: "Why does he ask?", I asked myself. "Well, he is probably in the process of updating his belief system, and he is wondering about other people's bases for belief, and he just wants to check them out.", I answered myself.

Then it occurred to me that there might be several different reasons why you are interested in my basis for belief:

1. You like to debate and it would be great sport to challenge my basis of belief.

2. You are interested in psychology and by probing my bases for beliefs you may be able to gain some insight into how and why I came to believe what I do.

3. You have doubts about your own beliefs and you want to find out if I have a basis for belief that you would find useful in shoring up your doubts.

4. You suspect that my basis for belief might indicate some pathology and you are extending your help to me to overcome this dreadful disease.

5. You are concerned that other people might pick up on my beliefs and, Heaven forbid, start some new religion with them. You feel compelled to nip that prospect in the bud.

6. You are just curious and having fun, just as I am now.

>>>Unless someone can come up with a scientific and logical defense for his beliefs, shouldn't we just say that it's only a hypothesis, and attach no bias to it?>I can't argue against a "It doesn't make sense now, but it will eventually." type argument because it implies knowledge that doesn't yet exist. So we're stuck in a rut.>The only thing I can suggest is that your beliefs reside entirely in the realm of fantasy and hope. I hope you can see this is the case.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins