Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
You Didn't Comment On My Answer

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on December 17, 2001 06:44:08 UTC

Hi Alex,

I described an analogy of a 2D surfboard riding on a 2D manifold in a 3D space. You made no comment about it. Using this analogy, gravitons, photons, protons, etc. are all "surfboards". I.e. they are all 3D structures moving in a 3D manifold in higher dimensional space. The fact that their movement is restricted to the 3D manifold requires that they obey inverse square laws, which they do.

The fact that we don't know of anything which obeys inverse cube laws doesn't mean they don't exist. Keep in mind that we still haven't accounted for something like 90% of the mass in the universe. How do we know some of that dark matter or dark energy doesn't obey inverse cube laws?

I am not suggesting this idea as a desperate attempt to find something to prove the existence of higher dimensional space. What I am suggesting is that we should at least investigate the consequences of the idea, and who knows, the results of that (mathematical) investigation might suggest some ways to look for that dark matter. Since we can't rule the possibility of large extra dimensions out, we should at least take a look at the possibility.

BTW, what did you mean by a "signature"?

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins