Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Relative Or Absolute Intelligence??

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Yasir on December 15, 2001 16:10:22 UTC

An elephant can produce and hear infra-sound waves across large distances.
A dolphin produces utlrasonic waves which are reflected by bony and other hard tissues and received back by the dolphin.
A certain fish can create electric field around its body and detect any changes in it to avoid attacks.
Bees have eyes sensitive to ultraviolet radiation which make the flowers more conspicuous-looking for the bee and consequently is attracted to collect nector and thus help pollinate pollens.

The 'reality' in each case is different for each organism.

Does the moon exist if we don't look at it?

Einstein lost the debate to Bohr. What about his cherished concept of an objective reality? What do we know about it , today?

The theme also reminds me of Darwin's concluding remarks in "The Origin":
"But then arises the doubt, can the mind of man, which has, as I fully believe, been developed from a mind as low as that possessed by the lowest animal , be trusted when it draws such grand conclusions ?"

In the previous post I quoted Schrodinger and now Darwn. It seems to me that the two quotes are making some very important point which I am not fully understanding.
What do they really mean?

Am I thinking in the right direction (with respect to the initial sentences of the post)?

Yasir.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins