Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Yes, It Is The Most Logical Hypothesis

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on December 14, 2001 00:53:38 UTC

DNA is a chemical reaction. (Or, more accurately, life is a chemical reaction based around DNA.) Put in simplistic terms, that is. At its most basic level (the basics of a chemical reaction, bonds breaking and reforming, etc.) DNA is no different than any chemical, and life is no different from any chemical reaction. Right? It's just many times more complicated. But the principles remain the same. The reactions that make life possible are no different than HCl + NaOH -> H20 + NaCl. If you draw a distinction, tell me where.

What is different about electronics? Our most complicated A.I. programs now are comparable to simple amino acids or primitive microbes. But all you have to do is add more and more programming and the awareness increases and increases. As I said, what seperates life from death and robotic reaction from understanding is just a matter of convention. There is no fundamental (chemical or electronic) difference.

If I am mistaken, please tell me where. Tell me, at what point does a chemical reaction suddenly become an organism with free will and a soul. Tell me why the simple coding of a virus does not paralell the decoding of Deep Blue. Tell me how the concept of true sentience and souls hold water when we reduce it to its fundamentals.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins