Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Do You Mean, AMERICAN News Agencies?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on December 5, 2001 19:42:08 UTC

There are many others around.

My wife (she is teaching Russian in my university) periodicly browses russian internet and e-mails to her students interesting topics for discussions in class. About a month or so ago they were discussing economical changes in Russia, so she e-mailed this news along with some others. And she told me about that (about a week ago), asking if radioactive waste can be converted into nukes. I told her that it is practically impossible, unless you have many tons of waste and some enrichment factory. But it is quite easy to evaporate the water (waste comes in barrels of water solution of radioactive salts) and place bags with finely grained salt around conventional explosives - then the cloud of slowly settling fine radioactive dust may contaminate large areas, making them unlivable for a few hundred years (till wind and water erosion spread this dust futher, diluting it to lower radioactivity level).

I may ask her for the source - I think it was NOT american agency, most likely russian or arabian one.

But it may not be until friday - I have some finals tomorrow, so will spend most of my time paperworking/copying/scantroning.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins