Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
How Do You Know Size Was The Same?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on November 27, 2001 16:08:49 UTC

Alexander,

I am rather intriqued by the accelerating expansion. The math is the same as inflation. So eventually the whole universe will inflate like in the Big Bang. Right?

Maybe wrong. Maybe we are extrapolating from a single approximate measurement to the absurd. If the original inflation produced matter, then why shouldn't this present one also do so, if it really is inflation. Then my thinking is driven towards something like the original steady state universe except that mass is created during the expansion, but not enough to stop the expansion.

In that case what is steady is the omegas. The dark energy omega, the dark matter and the visible matter omegas may be conserved in this universe.

If so then I can resurrect my belief that these omegas come from the ratio of dimensions in a 26-d universe. In case you do not remember, 16 d go into dark energy and 10 d go into matter which then splits between visible matter and dark matter during the 6-d compactification.

It's all numerology, but if the universe is naturally flat and full of fields like gravity rather than spacetime curvature as physicists seem to now think, then it seems that an acceleratuing expansion is ruled out, as flatness is lost. Is my intuitive math right on this one?

And the sizes of the galaxies would be the same, Right? Otherwise with accelerating expansion, the galaxies could not possibly compensate for the inflation.

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins