Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
It Was A Prediction, Not A Conclusion

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Luis Hamburgh on November 23, 2001 21:19:51 UTC

Alex,

I ask that you have patience with my (and others') less-than-Ph.D. level of terminology, as I think the concept we're asking about is easy enough to get across, lexicon notwithstanding.

You have answered, I think, with, "we only infer (expansion) from the redshift," which is the first part of my (our) question.

The second part is, if atoms do not expand, then what is the boundary between the level at which expansion occurs, and the level at which is does not occur? And, if this expansion only occurs at macro-levels, then how did the universe ever get to be this from a 'primordial lump of infinite mass & curvature' (nobody specific quoted, just a standard-enough sounding description)?

It's not as if all the "stuff" in the universe existed with the same volume as it exists now. In other words, the universe didn't always occupy the same volume all its particulate 'mass' occupies as we observe it today, did it? I'm not talking the "space between" suns & planets & comets & asteroids & star dust (which is, I think, the only phenomenon subject to the "Alexander" model of expansion). Even when considering the net volume occupied by just the suns & planets & asteroids & comets & star dust, we have a disparity -- if the universe is expanding from a Big Bang event, then how did all this stuff increase in volume if expansion doesn't occur at a quantum level?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins