Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Okay Okay

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on October 14, 1999 02:25:12 UTC

: Alright, who am I kidding? The religion that I attempt to discredit is Christianity, because that's my background (you obviously already realized that). I don't base disbelief in God because Christianity is flawed; I pose this argument as a reason to disbelieve Christainity. It's not the only reason, or even the main reason I can't believe in God. I've already said before that I acknowledge many various definitions for God. I don't completely rule out the possibility of God, but I believe that the evidence for his existence is lacking (in my eyes).

"What you are saying here is that "if I were God, I'd do it this way." God created the universe so that it would evolve based upon the Laws of Physics Created in the First Second of the Big-Bang. It has worked just fine the way He Created it, over fifteen billion years ago. He is Omnipotent, He could change it, but why should He, He Created it the way it is. If He altered things for the benefit of just the few, the many would suffer, by not having the opportunity to appreciate learning to provide for themselves. Everyone would just sit back and let God take care of it all. Is that the life you want?"

I believe that when it comes to needless suffering, divine intervention could have (and should have) occured to save the day. I'm saying that if God was all loving, he would intervene to stop suffering that WASN'T necessary. I say this because suffering is not entirely negative. Experiencing suffering can make one stronger, and help to gain a higher appreciation in life. Hence, I acknowledge that some suffering can be "soul building." However, suffering doesn't always do this; often it can destroy people and leave them as mere shells. For example, if God even had the slightest clue that Hitler would have committed one the worst atrocities in human history, he could have intervened without interfering with our free will. If he'd prevented that particular sperm from fertilizing the egg at conception (neither the sperm or the egg had free will), Hitler would have never existed. Few will admit the world wouldn't have been a better place without the holocost. And might I point out, the holocost had adverse effects for many (much of the world was dragged into war), not just the few. Indeed, I think a loving God would not allow his children to undergo needless suffering, if it were in his power to do so.

As far as sitting back and letting God take care of it all; I'll admit that it's not an attractive option to me. But in that case, what's heaven then? I'm not saying that you necessarily believe in heaven (since you do have a unique image of God), but surely you believe in some form of afterlife. Is heaven simply a place of paradise where you sit back and God provides all?

I... brain... me tireeed... need... sleep... bye.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins