Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
BTW The Extra Dimensions Don't Have To Be "culed Up"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on November 19, 2001 03:04:17 UTC

Hi again,

I forgot to mention that I see no reason why extra spatial dimensions need to be "curled up tightly" in order for them to be undetectable. The relationship between a space and an embedded manifold achieves that without the necessity of "curling" them up.

If anyone thinks otherwise, I would dearly, and desperately love to hear their arguments. I have searched in vain for any such arguments and I have only heard two:

1. The tacit assumption that we should be able to "see" extra dimensions if they exist. I think my previous post explains why not.

2. If extra spatial dimensions exist then inverse square laws would become inverse cube, or higher, laws. This is not necessary if our 3D space is a manifold. The topological characteristics of a manifold are independent of any higher dimensional space in which they are embedded.

If you, or anyone else, has any disagreement with these arguments, or if you have any other reasons why we should expect to be able to detect additional dimensions if they exist, please, please post them here.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins