Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Luis, Are You Jalous To My Life Style?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on November 18, 2001 17:46:40 UTC

And that is why you try to put "failig schientist" tag on me?
Luis, what works for you (as you mentioned, you took some physics but it was hard for you, thus you can be qualify for "failed scientist"?).

If you want to label me as such, I wish american scientists were so happy and rewarded as I was. Having 50+ professional publications, doung research in cutting edges (x-ray lasers, gravitation, waves, atomic physics to name a few) teaching in good university, yearly participating in top professional meetings - yet having plenty of time for hobbies, family and travel. What else to desire? Oh, yes, I forgot that in capitalistic society monetary values are important too. Well, then I qualify if not for being "rich" but at least for being "well above average american scientist" too: I have 2 new houses: first one is 2 story 4 bedrooms 4 bathrooms 2 car garage 2500 another new s/f I bought brand new in 1993, by the way, only 1.5 year after I came to US from Russia with only $150 in my pocket. As I made more and more money (research, consulting) I decided to invest in a few condominiums which I rented out (I tried to invest small amount - about $20000 into mutual funds and options, but it did not work well back then in mid 90-s and I decided that real estate is better investment). In 1998 I custom built second house (this time 3 story, 4000 s/f, 6 bedrooms, 4 bath, den, office, art room, exersize room, guest room, room for future sauna and for 2-3 bedroom mother-in-law apartment). Also in 1997 I invested plenty of money in apartment complex which brings good "supplemental income".

So, it seems that monetarily I am ok too.

What else? Family? Oh, yes - I got it all here too. My wife is a very beautiful russian woman - sometimes I think that she is TOO beautiful - she turns attention of all men to her wherever we go. Fortunately, as most russian girls, she is very and very faithful. And as strange as it seems - she is smart too (you know, usually beauty and smartness are mutually exclusive features for girls). She has two master-equivalent degrees: one from musical college (she is piano professional) and one from Russian language literature college. Currently she teaches Russian in my college, occasionally performs in local concerts, judges in various student competitioins, and has plenty of private piano students.

What else? Hobbies? I think, I am ok here too. As a scientist, I travel the world both when I was in Russia and from US. Sometimes with my family (although they do not always like to sit in conference rooms or to walk nearby, so it is not best way of family travel). Other hobby: downhill skiing, hiking, photography (have 3 SLR and a few other cameras, recently went digital: hi res digital pictures of flowers, fall colors, scenic nature (and of my wife) are really impressive in colors, light play and details). Also like occasional surfing when near ocean. I want to try mountain paragliding or motorgliding (shute and a propeller on your back, you know - then you can ascend too, not only glide. I wonder, if I have to have flight license or sort?) but my wife does not feel comfortable about that. So, it still is in discussion state (may be, I need to buy fat life insurance first?). Also, I like surrealism (Bosch, Dali), ancient sculptures, ancient structures and paint (have plenty of albums). Like Pink Floyd and some modern hits, like going to new movies with family, try new restaurants, like fixing things (especially electronics or challenging problems).

So, do you think if such life qualifies for being called "failing scientist"?

Well, I wish then to others to "fail so miserably" as I do.

:-)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins