Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Political Gaffes Rarely Fuel Anything More Than Political Fires

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Luis Hamburgh on November 17, 2001 03:42:07 UTC

Alex,

If Bush oversimplified the struggle between Chechnya and Russia, then perhaps he did it because the purpose of his speech did not require an elaborate history lesson.

Moreover, successful leadership in a democratic republic is not about intellect; look at our most successful presidents, and look at our failures. Overthinking while in a precarious position can be hazardous (consider "...it all depends on what your definition of 'is' is...").

The presidency is not a monarchy, nor does it represent the peak of a strict and militaristic chain of command (i.e., "Commander in Chief" is more figurehead than strategist).

But this doesn't mean we haven't 'been there.' The US Civil War saw situations analogous to your examples, and it's a lot trickier -- even 140 years later -- to characterize the Confederate States as 'evil,' or just about anything unequivocally derogatory.

Still, we are stuck with George Bush's oversimplified statement.

I too sometimes wish he'd think before speaking, but I am fully supportive of him, as he has done nothing more unfavorable than an occasional linguistic gaffe.

Incidentally, he's getting better about these, too -- his biggest goof was referring to the military campaign in Afghanistan as a 'crusade.'

D'oh!

-LH

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins