Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
It Probably Costs Less Than In New York

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alan on November 9, 2001 09:23:48 UTC

Luis,

My guess is that the price of tea in China is less than in New York.

But the drink tastes like tea regardless of where you drink it, whatever price? The mathematical description of tea in terms of price-relativity, exchange rates etc. may be very impressive but tea is not that.

The philosophy text seemed to challenge Alex's mathematical reductionism; by effectively asserting, that "Tea in China" is not the same as its mathematical price description.

But if man has 'framed' nature; of course man's pattern-framing label 'photon' is reducible to man's pattern-framed 'photon'. But whatever collection of boundaries it is in nature that matches man's framing; the collection of ingredients already in nature with which man frames his math-cake; those ingredients are just there.

Well, I wasn't sure it had something to do with tea in China but in jest why not see if it did?

Photons do not have rest mass, but they do have frequency when moving. Very high energy photons behave like particles, with high penetrating power. All that high frequency makes it seem like they have mobile mass. (I should check Ditchburn, who explains exactly what goes on. Might be muddled here).

It took 47 pages, mapping two pages per paper-page, to print, but the stuff at www.emmynoether.com looks too good to miss- so hope to educate myself.

If I sometimes argue against myself- well I don't mind arguing in all sorts of directions- see where the trail leads; but it is not so easy to be successful arguing against one's own view- probably easier for someone else to pull apart one's own trail.

I wonder what Alex makes of this dodgy space-time stuff?

-dolphin

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins