Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
To Dick, Paul, Aurino: A Puzzle

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alan on November 9, 2001 07:43:18 UTC

Hi,

Consider this story idea:

The physicist meets a detective. The detective says to the physicist "Don't ask me about work, I haven't the slightest idea what work-reality is".

The physicist happens to know there has been a bank robbery that the detective hasn't heard of. So physicist thinks: "True, this guy not only doesn't know what's going on, he doesn't even know something happened to have a state-of-knowledge about. He can't even say that he hasn't the slightest idea who robbed the bank, because he doesn't even know there was a robbery to "not have the slightest idea about" He really doesn't have the slightest idea".

But can you apply this to ALL ALL ALL reality?

Tell me, how can you? Because when you consider EVERYTHING; you are no longer like the detective (not even knowing there is something to not-even-know about). You do know there is at least one item in existence.

You know that you exist, or how can you not know something- it presupposes there is a 'you' that doesn't have the slightest idea.

If Dick will not agree on that one point, may I ask his followers(?) to answer it?

And regarding Religion staying out of science: science is supposed to be unbiased and analytical in all directions. The "BIG BANG" was a derogatory term for a theory about the beginning of the universe, because it was thought that that theory sounded too much like creation/ religion.
So via atheist bias, religion also overly interferes in science.

Real scientists surely let the reality unfold, whatever it may be; and note all types of bias in all directions.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins