Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Working From A Proper Definition Of Dimension

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Luis Hamburgh on November 9, 2001 01:24:27 UTC

Alex,

Questions like how do I travel back and forth in time? are based within an erroneous definition of dimension. Consider the following critique of the “Freedom of Movement” definition:

ONE – There is no such thing as absolute “freedom” of per se spatial motion (i.e., independent of time). A much better definition characterizes the term dimension as a fundamental element of an interval of reality (as I said weeks ago). However, if you insist on sticking with the “freedom” concept (ironic for a Soviet, I’d think), maybe you should consider a definition that touches upon “degrees of freedom” (as opposed to undefined freedom), thereby allowing for temporal constraints.

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=dimension

http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Dimension

TWO - In order to express a singular step of a vector in space-time, we require only one axis. So, according to your definition, the interval between a particle’s position in two consecutive frames does not exist in three spatial dimensions. After all, a particle cannot simultaneously move within three axes! Hence, armed with that deduction we'd subsequently derive a twofold notion that (1) nothing can simultaneously exist in three dimensions, and (2) three spatial dimensions can only exist in time.

See the point?

As long as you derive your concepts from the “freedom of movement” definition, you will continue to misunderstand the mutually dependent nature of “space” and “time.”

-LH

P.S. How do you not travel back and forth in time? Can you instantaneously transport yourself about? Sounds like Star Trek gobbledygook to me!

;)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins