Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Alex, What Is The Meaning Of A Word That Hasn't Been Defined?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on November 8, 2001 21:01:17 UTC

Alex what if I made up a word and defined it thus...

"Tartanibroth": A collection of two "vanderdorfs".

Can you now tell me what it means to have a "tartanibroth"? Sure you could tell me that it's a collection... but that's about the extent of your understanding of the word.

In order to further understand what a "tartanibroth" is... you must first obtain the definition of a "vanderdorf".

Now if I go on to say that a "vanderdorf" means a particular arrangement of some "caktillians"... you're still left confused as to what a "tartanibroth" really is.

All you know now is that it is a collection of two similar particular ways of arranging a "caktillian".

Do you see where I'm going with this? The system of relationships (arrangemnts of, and collections of,...) can go on and on and on... but until I point to an "apple" and say, "There... that is a 'caktillian'!", you never have any idea what the heck it actualy means to have a "tartanibroth" (a pair of fanciful arrangements of fruit).

So the point is... even if you can point to a "1" and say, "There... that is 'existence'!"; I am still left in the woods as to what "existence" is.

If you define "existence" then to what does your definition refer? We could trace your definitions (and hence relationships) all the way back until we arrive at an "undefinable entity" (or word). At this point we are left scrathing our heads as to what a long chain of 1's and 0's actualy means.

This "logic origin" or "caktillian" unfortunately has no "apple" to point too... hence you can derrive an entire universe and still not know why it is or where it came from (and please do not say "symmetry").

Alex... please answer what makes "1" different from "0"... and be prepared to play a long game of question and answer.? (I'll take it upon myself to "get this game started" and see how long you play 'til you drop out and get the point).

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins