Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Yes I Can Have Both...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on November 5, 2001 21:48:52 UTC

Why should God waste his time and energy pushing the sun around the Earth when such a process can be automated by simply spinning the Earth about a 23o axis (tilted with respect to solar plane), in good faith that it will remain spinning indefinitely due to conservation of angular momentum law?

...now sun rises and falls day & night while at the same time giving us four seasons and convection currents (wind patterns), and God can go off and handle more important business. In fact, why should God ever even come along and "spin" Earth in the first place? A contracting cloud of solar gas would do that on its own, as do all planets in our solar system. Therefore, the fact that sun is "pushed around the sky" is an easily automated process in formation of solar system and gravitationally collapsing "dust balls" (planets).

So God spots suitable planet, and encourages molecular processes/chemical reactions to spontaneously reproduce.

But wait... why should he interfere even here? Afterall, he set the physical constants so that formation of such chemical processes was inevitable anyways. All he need do now is sit and wait patiently for intelligent life to emerge. Then he can help them to become "better people" by throwing challenges at them and taking their life when they're no longer serving a meaningful purpose on Earth (just an example... who knows what the purpose of life really is?).

Alex, I'm not much for belief in God, but then again I'm not much for "disqualifying" him on grounds of conservation laws... So I'm not just some idiot who thinks Santa Clause throws lightning at bad kids, however I don't like to say what is and what isn't allowed by incomplete theory of nature. And YES physics is incomplete... it's not the US school system.

I would say that an advanced civilization that can stealthily elude detection via UNIMAGINABLY advanced technology... could possibly be beyond our current capability to understand logically, and hence we call such a civilization "God". This is not disqualified on grounds of symmetry, correct? Afterall, "God" would have come from a universe with laws of physics just as we did; he just had complete theory of nature and mathematics before we did. With complete mastery of the universe... an advanced intelligence could easily manipulate matter and space-time to influence our lives in subtle ways. Why not?

So God (or advanced intelligent life form) can play a role in our lives without posing any threat to well revered conservation laws. Since he must also have arrived here by chance in some distant universe amongst infinite of possibilities, then he is well within frame of laws of physics just as we are. His ancestral evolutionary path would have been long and uncertain (as is life for organisms here on Earth). Overcoming all the obstacles that nature could ever throw at him (even a collapsing universe), he managed to escape, survive, and prosper long enough to become what humans would call "Master, almighty, creator, infinite intelligence, etc.", which is really nothing more than having at one's disposal a complete mathematical theory of nature.

Because of all the obstacles God had to overcome to get to "final theory"... I would say that he does not so much play dice with the universe... as the universe played dice with him.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins