Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Mark, "proper" Is A Relativistic Term. It Means

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on November 3, 2001 17:34:12 UTC

"in your reference system". Proper time and length do not change when you move with constant velocity, or with acceleration, or are in any gravitational field. Whether you are around event horizon, or outside or inside black hole, your meter stick is still 1 m long and your wrist watch are still running wuth the same rate as they were running far away from black hole.

Mark, don't go to military - ther you have to obey orders. That is tough. I don't like orders, that is why I decided to became a scientists. Also, 2 or 3 best learning age years wasted in army can never be compensated. If you are good in math and scientists, look up for stipends and scolarships - even some mediocre students get them.

Sad, that bright people have to go to army or national guardship or work to pay for education. Good education should be affordable for anyone.

Sorry for being a little hard on you - because you started explain obvious things from SR using popular jargon instead of physical/mathematical terms I just thought that you are from the same army of typical "Star trek" watchers, who, having no or little education in physics are arguing about time travel, or properties of wormholes, or quantum fluctuations violating causality as if they understand what they are talking about. I did not know that you are just a high school student.

Also, I can tell you that math is not a religion - when you study more and more of it, you see how it explains and CORRECTLY PREDICTS all natural phenomena. Yes, math (=logic) sometimes results in very weird things which we do not experience in everyday go-abouts (waves, uncertainty, relativity, quantization, etc.) but which nevertheless are exactly how nature works. That is why math is not a religion - it is the way nature works. Roughly speaking, nature obeys logic. (We, humans, sometimes resist to accept wierd twists of this logic, but this is our problem, not nature's).

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins