Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Difference Between Science And Faith.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on November 3, 2001 16:34:26 UTC

Luis, when I was in 4-th grade, we started study nature. The textbook was called "Introduction into work of Nature." In the first chapter it said that ancient people who did NOT know how thunder works, assumed that mighty humans (like Zeus) are sitting on clouds (because thunder ALWAYS comes from clouds) and from time to time throw lightings with accompanied noise. With time, the book says, some people, who were more curious than others, wanted to PROVE that it is indeed the case - and they found it to be INCORRECT. Instead, after didligent search ad re-search they finally found that there are NO people (or other beings) on clouds, and all this noise is is just a static electricity sparks. They EXPLAINED a phenomena by first DOUBTING existing explanation (=gods of thunder make it) then ANALYSING existing facts about thunderstorms, then EXPERIMENTING in labs with similar phenomena, and finally found strictly logical (=mathematical) explanation for ALL facts about thunderstorm. And this is what is called science - instead of primitive thinking (without any proof, by the way) that all in universe is made by humans (or human-like beings) - this was called religion, science ANALYSES available facts, then EXPERIMENTS to prove (or disprove) existence of Zeuses sitting on clouds, and then provides mathematical (=logical) explanation.

So, the textbook says, this is the difference between religion and science: religion accepts anything WITHOUT proof, but science DOES NOT. Science relies on FACTS and LOGIC (advanced form of which is called math) and it WORKS! In contrast to religion: Adam and Eve, flat Earth in the center of Milky Way (or universe), walking on water, 6-day creation and other primitive superstitions.

So, please do not try to get impression that I want to educate you about natural laws and how things work. Not at all. Stay firmly where you are. It is free society (in contrast to my country) and you are free to believe in Santa Clause and Zeus - I deeply respect your religion rights and opinion rights.

"Science is Language Removed, Bible is it!" - I now understand this motto (of free society?) much better.

By the way, there is so called "Flat Earth Society" in the USA (no joke! look up the web), so for only $15 a year you may become a member of one more biblical myth and enjoy exersising even greater religious freedom.

Let the freedom soar!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins