Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Caught In Each Own Perceptions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phil.o.sofir on October 9, 1999 15:49:54 UTC

: Phil.o.sofir: : What i am arguing is that the effects of speed/direction and distance prove that time is dependent upon other factors thus is not an entity, but is a percieved effect of an ever changing present. If these changes occur when tested in the environment of earth, what about in space? We can alter the rate of change within the present, nothing more. I guess i should review the special theory, it is important, it has been shown that the effects Al prdicted, but what exactly this change is must be reconsidered. This experiment is based upon wieghts of atomic particals, thier rate of change is affected by gravity and direction in relation to the earth. So you are basically saying that when a rocket shoots skyward it creates more gravitational pull thus movement/change occurs more slowly, and if sppeding strait down toward earth it lessens gravitational attraction and allows freer movement/change, all this is the effect of the strength of gravity on particals of matter and has nothing to do with time since it does not exist. Our concept of time is only how we percieve the effects of gravity/force/acceleration/deceleration upon matter. These perceptions are grounded in our view of arrangements of matter such as life or stars or planetary systems which have beginings and ends, but in relation to the universe are only a biased perception of the changing present.

: Greg: : You are still trying to see time in the same manner as you have previously defined it. It is not a Concept, it's a Dimension, just like Height, Width, and Depth. Time is the Fourth Dimension.

: I live in Florida. Time, for me, flows slower then it does for a sherpa who lives on Mt. Everest. It's only a difference of nanoseconds, so we could talk to one another on a radio and never notice it. Even over the span of an entire lifetime, the difference will only amount to a couple seconds. But Time is different because we are in different places in the Dimension of Time.

: If I park in an orbit immediately outside the schwartzchild radius of a black hole, Time will virtually stand still for me. If I communicated with someone at a distance in the earth-normal dimension of Time, as they recorded my heartbeat it would only beat perhaps once a month, whereas if I received a transmission of their heartbeat, it would appear to beat at a rate of perhaps 10,000 beats a second.

: Likewise, someone traveling at 99.9% of the speed of light could completely circumnavigate the entire known universe in less then one lifetime. That's billions and billions of light years, but to the person on the journey, it could be acomplished in about 56 years, his time.

: It is not just a perception of change, it is a Dimension, in and of itself.

***I guess we will both continue to see this subject through our own glasses, I agree with the concept of the 56years to circumvent the known universe at those speeds, however, it still does not change the argument in my mind, I'll try it one more time: I agree with the effects, and that they would always be the same given the same same variables, but i still see it as the result of rate of change within a constant present rather than than altering time itself. Can you point to future or past time with physical things? No, you can only use what is in the present, that is all i can put forth. Thanks for the input! I do agree it sounds ridiculus, but to me it makes sense.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins