Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
There Are Too Many Problems In "free World"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on October 31, 2001 00:26:12 UTC

Although economically "rat race" motivates individual to produce more goods, it also does not stop him/her from producing more "evels" so to speak (supply and demand). Having seen people openly selling drugs, having seen homeless and poor, as well as seeing high medical bills (for practically the same poor job) and high mortgages/rent/utilities make me sometimes wonder if I made a good choice plunging into "rat race" from relatively stable and safe live. Yes, I have more freedom - freedom to have more cars and VCRs and more freedom to blame government, but I also have more freedom to be poor, to be killed by gangs, to be robbed, to be frauded, to be discriminated, etc etc in free society. Best would be to make money in free society but to live under protection of some regime to make sure that children are safe at schools and get good education, and to be sure that a cancer surgery will not literally take you shelter (home) away as a pay to doctor. I know, it is impossible, although at good old times this was normal for many of russians (making money abroad and living in stable environment). Today there is not much government control in former "soviet block", therefore similar to "wild west" life without stability and state protection.

I think, northern european countries found good compromise between total freedom and total control (and can be an examples for other societies).

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins