Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Alex Had It Good

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on October 30, 2001 20:05:38 UTC

Mark,

Alex probably had it pretty good in the Soviet Union. Teachers and scientists enjoyed pretty good living standards compared to others in society. It was, for many, a good life - otherwise there wouldn't be those who wished it was back.

Although, I am puzzled by those like Alex who live in the United States with much more wealth and freedom than they probably ever enjoyed in their life, only to wish for a 'better' life in a repressive regime. I think this is due to the unhappiness that material rewards can bring when life seems hollow and shallow.

What I mean is that although the Soviet Union was an atheist regime, it had purpose it had bonding of comrades that gave more purpose to the repressive nature of the regime. When this was lifted perhaps some people who were students or scientists had better economic prospects, but gone was the bond of comrades and the sense of purpose that the old regime had to offer. Without that, life becomes economically better, but spiritually more depraved.

I sense that a number of people living in the United States who have lived in strict regimes (whether that be political, religious, military, etc and not necessarily foreigners) suffer from this emotional pain of material success combined with a mental sense of abandonment. This crowd could be people who migrated from a strict religious upbringing, or people like Alex who have no previous religious upbringing (at least in his adult years while in the cog of the educational system).

I'm not saying this profile fits Alex (maybe far from it), but I think it does explain a great deal of the 'hate' that is out there for economic success - especially by those who are enjoying it.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins