Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Yowza!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phil.o.sofir on October 9, 1999 01:36:11 UTC

: : Hey T, I don't see where we dissagree, I said we do have the ability to choseto die early, you quoted it, but then? : : And yes, useless disscussion is fun, and sometimes leads to accidental (?) insights.

: : Howz it goin' Philosofir? : I don't think I was agreeing. Maybe it was my choice of words. I don't think having options directly implies free will, because I think that everybody is conditioned to pick one option over all others, in accordance to their computer programs (my cheezy analogy). One only has the ability to kill themselves early if and only if they are conditioned to do so (ex. had a bad childhood, was divorced, mentally unstable,etc. etc.). : Having choice, and having free will aren't synonymous, in my opinion.

: P.S. This has been bugging me for a long time. What are: 1)Optional Link URL, 2) Link Title, and 3) Optional image URL, used for?

: P.P.S. .... and it's MR. T to you buster!!

Hey Mr.T! Iguess what i mean is that anyone given the right circumstnces could chose to end life early, this is even in relation to protection of offspring which is more a risk factor but seems to go along with the argument so i included it, other examples might be if you found there would never be another pile of dung to roll around in and sample :) I guess I would try it if i was in the dessert starving and there was nothing else, htere are many reasons a human being might end ones own life, some are positive, some if not most are negative. But the reason it is seen as such a negative thing is that it is most often used as a means of coping with negative situations, heres an example of a good one to me, if it was offered to me that if i killed myself, my family (children of direct genetic lineage) would be provided with the means to live totally free from any government yoke or interference, and would have access to thier own secret survival shelters on earth as well as the ability to remove themselves from our atmosphere or even take an orbit for an extended period around say mars during a time when the earth was i jepordy from some disaster thus ensuring thier long term survival and the survival of future generations of my genetic/experiance line, then yes, if I thought it could actually come to pass, i'd die. As far as the links, those are for someone to klick on a site you have recommended... image... I've never done one, let me try now...

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins