Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
LOL...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on October 26, 2001 01:23:15 UTC

This is such a sensitive subject, Harv, that I often find myself with my hands sitting dormant on the keyboard whilst I painstakingly strategize my choice of words. Unlike cold, hard, math/physics ... when debating on philosophy, I feel surrounded in a mine field of ambiguity, circular reasoning, and potential contradictory statements. Although I try my best to watch my step, I know that any minute somebody will come along and say "Mark but wait, didn't you just say that....."

It is a tight spot when somebody comes along and uses your own words against you... at least for me it is. That's why I try my damnedest to avoid those predicaments. They're hard to talk your way out of, while at the same not feeling forced to abandon your position.

Anyways, enough blabbering; forgive me. To get back at the subject at hand...

>>>What is wrong with the 'God of gaps' argument is that it is not advancing an argument that is able to make understanding more clear.>If you notice nowhere did I plead ignorance for my reason to believe. Instead I showed the weakness of holding something as defined when it cannot possibly be defined. In fact, for it (a mathematical nature) to be mathematical it seems to be that such a world would originate in mystery. This is not a mystery in terms we don't know the answer, it is a mystery in terms of there can't exist an answer. This is deduceable from what we know. This is, in my opinion, what a good philosophical argument should do.>"If you notice nowhere did I plead ignorance for my reason to believe.">"Instead I showed the weakness of holding something as defined when it cannot possibly be defined."

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins