Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Okay, Then...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on October 25, 2001 19:06:48 UTC

Hi Mark,

>>>). The reason this is a very weak argument is because it is based on a lack of knowledge on behalf of the opponent's side, rather than being a solid argument based upon strong supporting evidence on GOG's side. Since the scientific community is always reducing the size of this "lack of knowledge" by research and experiment, so it is that GOG is always having to reduce the number of areas where this line of reasoning can be applied. Therefore, it is GOG that is always on the retreat.>My post however, wasn't based upon a lack of knowledge (although I will admit that I did bring up questions pertaining to the nature of the Wave Function), it was based on a well understood and time-tested theory of nature. Quantum mechanics, although odd and very counter intuitive, has shown that nature simply has an "alter-ego" on the micro-scale. The most important concept that I'm relying upon here, is the ABSOLUTE LIMIT placed on the amount of information one can extract from the constituents of a system to gain knowledge of the state of that system. Although this may seem like another retreat for GOG, it is not. It is an absolute and well understood, fact of nature. It is not just another gap of knowledge that the scientists will someday fill... this aspect of nature is intrinsic to matter and all force fields that govern the motion of matter. Therefore, my line of reasoning is based upon the knowledge of physics, not the ignorance thereof. One can say that it is simply not known what exactly causes the collapse of the wave function, but that is only a minor concern here.>>Since elementary particles set the initial conditions for macroscopic phenomena, then my argument asserts that God only need tamper with the outcome of quantum events to influence our everyday lives (were he capable of having complete control over matter at the quantum scale). Mathematics and physics will dictate the "domino effect" of what's to come as a consequence. God only need set the stage for a chaotic chain reaction of events, in which case we'll never even know he "saved our life". This is not inconsistent with QM, and I don't think I'd call it a "retreat".

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins