Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
No 'God Of Gaps'

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on October 25, 2001 14:58:05 UTC

Mark,

I think you are perceiving this issue very similarly to other modern theists. However, I see your explanation as nothing but the familiar 'God of gaps' argument in disguise. It goes something like this: if there is any gap in human knowledge (esp. science) then that is where God is working. If there is an evolutionary gap in the fossil record, then at that point God came down from heaven and modified the species (Intelligent Design). If there is a point where things become uncertain (e.g., quantum UP), then surely God is working at that level. If there is a point to where the laws of physics break down (e.g., big bang singularity), then surely God is working there.

What I find troubling about this line of reasoning is that it is traditionally false since as each 'gap' has been bridged (e.g., human lineage, DNA, gravity, etc), there are always a whole new set of 'gaps' that can come to the rescue of this 'God of gaps' argument.

I don't think God works in gaps. I think God is everywhere and that all that happens depends upon his existence. The laws of physics and all that stems from it, in my opinion, are all simply necessitated because 'God is'. Every event ultimately can be traced to this reason.

Miracles don't need God tampering with nature below human our radar to detect his actions. Nature simply flows (mathematically) according to the fact that 'God is'. If there are any exceptions to known physics, then it isn't that physics breaks down, rather our approximations break down in those particular circumstances (for whatever reason). For example, Newton's F=ma breaks down at relativistic speeds or under great gravitational stress, and it also breaks down for quantum sized events. Similarly, if miracles (of the kind that you mentioned) are possible, then I maintain that there is some (mathematical) reason for that to occur.

No 'God of gaps', just God.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins