Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
No, I'll Take On Some Of The Work Load...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on October 19, 2001 16:53:04 UTC

Allow me to define consciousness, once in my own words and once from a Webster's dictionary.

~ME~
Consciousness: Lucid mental state from which there arises the possibility of one being aware of one's own existance.

~WEBSTER~
1 a : the quality or state of being aware esp. of something within oneself

b : the state or fact of being conscious of an external object, state, or fact

2 : the state of being characterized by sensation, emotion, volition, and thought : MIND

3 : the totality of conscious states of an individual

4 : the upper level of mental life of which the person is aware as contrasted with unconscious processes

~Definition was quoted from Merriam-Webster Dictionary Online (AOL Keyword; "dictionary"). I omitted two sub-definitions as they served no purpose to this dicussion; one dealt with conscious involvment in political/social structure & such... and the other was regaining consciousness.

All I want to know is... why is it necessary for one's own awareness to be snuffed out, just because all chemical reactions have subsisded? Do you truly know where consciousness comes from? Sure the brain is the main candidate for consciousness but then again, how do we know actual "awareness" needs a brain at all? Perhaps the brain just takes on the multifunctional task of "routing" this awareness, and focusing its attention where need be (like instinct & survival, the five senses, itellectual cabilities, etc.).

Alex, I in no way intend to be a smart-aleck so please don't take offense...
but if you believe that chemical reactions are responsible for the origin and the ultimate demise of consciousness, thereby negating the possibility of an afterlife... then I'm going to have to turn the tables on you for once, and ask you for cold hard facts and equations.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins