Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Well...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on October 18, 2001 18:14:54 UTC

Mark,

It is fine deducing theories of consciousness, and it is fine speculating on some mystical 'stuff' that causes that (e.g., Spinoza's 'substance', Liebniz's 'monads', etc). The problem I see with saying that it is dark matter is that it takes one legitimate mystery (missing mass in the universe) and tries to tie it into another mystery (consciousness) without any legitimate reason. Dark matter is an issue of something having 'mass' that hasn't been identified. Why must it not only have mass, but all sorts of other properties that we would like to endow it with? I find that approach very unlikely to be successful since it doesn't focus on the known dynamics of dark matter, but concentrates on what we don't know and can't know (yet). This approach, in my view, is built from our ignorance rather than our ability to understand.

I don't discourage speculation, but I find the pursuit of truth serious business and I'm interested in finding real answers. I don't think adding to the mystery of dark matter (and building expectations that will in the end only severly disappoint) is in that direction. But, I can be wrong. That's why I asked if there is something about what we know of dark matter that may give more reason to suspect it to be fundamental to conscious reasoning.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins