Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Were You Agreeing By Accident?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phil.o.sofir on October 7, 1999 03:23:09 UTC

: : Now, it's my turn to disagree. : You mentioned that we don't have the free will to die, though we do have the free will to die early. No, you always have the option of dying early. But would you say your genetic makeup combined with the environment you've been raised in would produce a person that would permit it? We believe we are much freer than we actually are. I think the term free will is confused with the term free choice. In life, there are limitless options, but in any set of conditions you may have a bias to choose one over the other... always. If you've ever said: "If only I wasn't abused as a child" or "If only I didn't have Lupus" etc., I'd be a completely different person; you're actually saying that these events are robbing you of your free will.

: P.S. I like useless philosophical intellectualism.

Hey T, I don't see where we dissagree, I said we do have the ability to choseto die early, you quoted it, but then? And yes, useless disscussion is fun, and sometimes leads to accidental (?) insights.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins