Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: The Gift Of Free-Will

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Greg Armel/">Greg Armel on October 6, 1999 21:50:49 UTC

Phil.o.sofir: ***Mosquitos hunt us for food. If it is so easy for the world to become imperfect,(of miilibar of pressure) then how do you call this world perfect. I guess the only perfect part is the range between just above sea level (with few exceptions) to say 16km above sea level, this hardly comprises the world, so it is a currently semi-perfect biosphere, not whole world. It is foolish to think god would withhold the tree knowledge from his image of himself to begin with, you know how vain he is! Furthermore, how could we have the free will to chose to/not to eat the fruit if the fruit contained the knowledge we needed to make that choice? So that would leave us as a creation that has learned its acceptable behavior but force? My dog does not rebel against me because he knows I am more powerful, so how could we have done so if we had limited knowledge?

Greg: I said, through Evolution, this world is Perfect for us. We are the apex of Evolution upon this world. Evolution provides for survival of the fittest. Therefore, we are the fittest life form suited to survival on this planet, just as it provides the environment most suited to our survival. N'est Pas? If you want to make utopia out of it, you have the Free-Will to do so, as long as you do not use your knowledge in such a way as to be detrimental to the environment and the other life forms that share this world with you. The fruit from the Tree of Knowledge is any bit of knowledge that is of value. Since we are hip-deep in the detrimental results of the inappropriate use of our knowledge, it is obvious that we had to eat of the fruit before we could realize that our use of it was detrimental. But still it is Nature that is informing us of the detrimental consequences of the use of our knowledge. Now we know. Now we must choose, continue to apply our knowledge in self-serving, self-interest, or apply our knowledge in a manner more beneficial to all life and the environment which sustains us. Who the hell said anything about our rebelling against God? Just because I use information from a source which was inspired by God, does not mean that I buy into everything that men have written there. Please refrain from attributing religious dogma to my arguments unless I have referred to such. And God is hardly vain, my friend. He has obligated the form of His Very Being to the composition of this Universe for the benefit of the life that He has Created here for over fifteen Billion years now, without so much as asking you for even so much as an acknowledgement. Dispite the meager extent of your gratitude for the life that He has given you, He aspires to provide for you in every way He possibly can without intruding upon your Free-Will or Transgressing upon your Heart. At the very least, you can refrain from disrespectful commentary on that of which you know so little. P.S.- and mosquitos don't carry people off and devour them. You'll live.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins